Wednesday 27 May 2009

Running Barefoot

In a post about cross training I had a reply from Wendy that I might want to try barefoot running... there is one place where i feel safe to do this around here that is along the seafront and very family friendly - it has cafe's and steps going down to the rocks where ppl dive or swim and etc. it is all paved and doesn't even have many little black stones to hurt ur feet on...

I felt self conscious and so ran faster but only within capability and only ran 20 mins - the miracle was the ease of the up and down slopes, which were challenging when i first tried them... but now this felt like a nearly flat run...

I was extreemly glad that i did not try this 3 months or 6 months ago and at least felt like a serious ish runner even tho I was quite seriously overtaken at one point by a couple... I know there are faster runners, my sister is a faster runner - i can almost never see myself being that fast... but even at shorter and fatter than the girl who was running with the guy, I am still almost an ok weight now ... and friendlier than them - they didn't wave back !!!

I think I might make this a twice weekly thing, but if I want to try for a barefoot 5k I will have to run back and forwards accross this stretch at least 3x there and back - passing the same ppl at least 6x
lol

4 comments:

Dustie said...

Your post made me smile. I, too, compare myself to other runners way too often. We need to let those thoughts go and just run how "we" run - by doing our best and giving it our all - who care how "she" runs...ya know?. And barefoot running? I have wanted to try this for soooo long. I don't even know where I could try it at. Did you love it? I hate shoes anyway...so it sounds like a dream!

greentigress said...

It really was great!!!
I worry too much too, I hear voices quite frequently commenting on my running or on being fat (usually) so i think that makes me more aware of ppl around me... I know it's not real at the time, but it's a bit of a bore...

WendyBird said...

Hey! I'm glad you enjoyed your barefoot run! I'm really loving it, although I over did it yesterday I'm looking forward to my next BF run. Wouldn't it be cool to run my HM in November shoeless?

Mellow Yellow said...

Hi. Promise to read your blog regularly from now on! Hope this comment works this time.