Tuesday 30 June 2009

MBTs

HI,
I have just got back from an amazing holiday in Switzerland, the weather wasn't so great but we had a couple of mostly sunny days where we could go up mountains... once into the snow, and once above the clouds... it was beautiful...
I ran 15 miles while away and we walked about 20+ miles on top of this in the week which is at least twice the walking i usually do... so now i have come back with some sort of painful ankles and knees and i'm totally exhausted, I got back on Sunday, my last run was 3 miles on saturday and then an exhausted 2 miles yesterday...
I am slightly injured, but can't seem to stay off my feet, the pain is so intermittent and isn't getting any worse...
I have just been out for my first session of 'floating' or light running: That:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffWhfVeP4Uk

is what i am thinking about taking up...

and Here it is with the weights I use:


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKX4udEUs4g

as i run slow anyway, i was thinking maybe this would help with my poor knees and ankles ...
I have been walking in MBTs for the last 2 years and can't wear any other shoe now... so I thought yesterday - so why am i running in regular shoes??

I have been naturally - lately - leaning towards running in the above manner anyway sometimes anyway - running very upright and not very fast - usually when tired
but i have emailed MBT for advice on how it is possible to begin floating when you have been walking in them for a while and how much mileage i should cover at a time to start with: today I did half a mile with the weights...?? could I have done more without them??


I also will definitely vary my shoes to start with and this is something bruce said recently with his quote : always run on the same terrain in the same shoes and you are asking for injury

So maybe i will always vary my shoes, but I am thinking of including most of my running in MBTs when i have worked up to it a bit at a time, I am thinking of taking another pair of shoes with me and changing after half a mile, 3/4 of a mile, 1 mile, 1.5 miles etc a couple of times a week and remembering the 10% rule with it maybe...........??? starting with 2x a week half a mile???


I have gained nearly half a stone or about 6 lbs on holiday ...
I tested the theory that you can't eat more if you exercise more - and it's true -
I usually am so careful on holidays but my diet was going to pot anyway recently so now i have the struggle of attempting to go back on it and it's not going well
I have still lost a stone or 14 lbs since my starting weight, so this is some progress, but now some of my clothes dont' fit again and it's not great looking at myself again...

I have not eaten too much today yet so that can be a starting point...

While i was away i did a run with a backpack on and a run at altitude - both were real challenges.... but the scenery was unbelievable - running around lakes and in the mist and rain and clear weather it was great...!!!

No comments: